Last night, Whippet owners around the world rejoiced when Tease the Whippet won Best in Show at Crufts. Whippets are often a misunderstood breed, so here are a few facts about wonderful Whippets which most owners will be nodding their heads to.
1. Whippets are LAZY, like, super lazy. I still remember being told 'if you can't choose between a cat and a dog, get a whippet'. Most people on the street think that they need a lot of exercise, mine will happily sleep the entire day whether they have had 30 minutes or 3 hours walking.
2. They love zoomies - they can go from a slow trot 30mph whirlwind in a fraction of a second. This can be terrifying when you have a whippet hurtling towards you; generally though, they have the ability to swerve at the very last minute leaving you thankful for that you still have the use of your kneecaps!
3. They are opportunistic thieves. There has been many an owner who has turned their back for .0001 of a second only to find the sandwich/biscuit/steak has disappeared leaving an innocent looking hound with remnants hanging from their whiskers.
4. They are fair weather hounds. They will be appalled if you take them outside in the rain and would be calling the RSPCA if they could use the phone.
5. The rules 'no dogs on the furniture' doesn't last very long in a whippet household. They have no undercoat so they would be uncomfortable on hard floors; they adore anything soft. They use this to their advantage, owners will often be found on the floor rather than move the comfortable hound. Whippets also have an uncanny ability to know how to burrow under the duvet.
6. Because of their shape, whippets usually need breed specific coats, jumpers and collars. Be prepared to spend a small fortune and for your hound to be better dressed than you. (We love Redhound for Dogs for attire and for collars check out Dogs & Horses or Brindle & Whyte)
7. Whippet owners can never seem to stop at just one whippet.
8. Whippets can have an irregular heartbeat at rest, it becomes 'normal' when running.
9. They are super affectionate with their humans and make great family pets but they can be quite aloof with people they don't know.
My #1 specialty is photographing whippets and sighthounds - if you have a Best in Show hound at home, grab this special offer before it sells out
50.00 off any shoot for whippets - only 5 available!! Full shoot details are here: www.whippetsnippets.co.uk/2018-pricing
Want to see more photos of whacky whippets? Check this out blog post: Puppy Shoot at West Wittering